Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Entering the Field - Culture Shock and Homesickness. Excepts from Bryce's email home.


Holy crap it's hot here! I spend six weeks in a slightly cooler climate, then I come back to death! hahah but yeah it gets hot here and I don't know Spanish! That is what I learned yesterday. I had to wake up at 2 to leave which was alright and then fly out here and everything and yeah up to that point so far so good. But after we got picked up, we were interviewed by President Montoya and everything, and I actually got out and was with my companion, Elder Mucino, everything went downhill. I think being so tired from not sleeping and my brain being bombarded with Spanish before then, made me not able to understand anything. I felt so out of place because I couldn't tell if people were talking to me, and if they were, what they were saying. Today has been a bit better because I'm less tired and can understand a little bit more.

I really like contacting. We have been doing it between appointments all day today and it is really helpful for me, because it makes me talk to everyone and I have to listen to everyone and I guess it’s just more practice. I’ll probably be fine in a few weeks and Spanish will come eventually I just need to stick it out. Culture shock is real!!!

My companion is Elder Muciño, who is Latino and doesn’t speak much English, so he’s pretty hard to understand sometimes. We are the only ones who live in our house because it is pretty small and I don’t have pictures becuase I had like 30 minutes last night to unpack and do everything. But yeah I’ve kinda been missing home a lot today for some reason. Maybe just because I feel out of place and don’t really have anyone to talk to besides my companion and not knowing what I’m doing most of the time is weird. Oh and my Ipod holds a charge for a grand total of 2 minutes.
ELDER MUCINO AND ELDER JOHNSON

So I’m in the city of Chihuahua, and my area is called Tecnológica 1, or the northern part of the city. We have some mountains in our area, and it’s a pretty big area. I havent cried yet. But emailing is making me feel like crying just a bit. Culture shock is real. It isnt like totally weird here, but it is definitely different. Pday is lunes, and I have no idea where we live because I dont know my way around the city yet haha.

I just feel like it’s hard for the people to trust me, and for me to be able to love them and help them if I cant understand them and my companion does all of the talking. I try but it’s really hard.

I love my companion to death! He’s super patient with me when I cant understand him and he’s a really cool guy! I think I just need to buckle down and continue to work. I’ve felt Satan all day today putting thoughts in my head like, man why couldn’t I get an English speaking mission, or why am I even here? It’s going to take forever to learn Spanish

I’m hoping that once I do become fluent and learn my areas that I can feel at home and not miss you guys or AZ or my friends or anything. Thats how it was yesterday. I was so tired and lost I could only focus on putting one foot in front of the other until 9:30. Thank you for your prayers, I’m going to need them. And know that I pray for you guys individually every night and love and miss you so much.
I miss CCM weather. and the CCM rain. The rain was amazing. I feel like it’ll never rain here

I do feel a lot better being able to talk to you guys. Still homesick but a bit better.